Friday, August 13, 2010

Dirty Little Secrets

Since I have been feeling pretty rotten lately (like for the last 8 months or so...) my sweet MIL has been helping my clean house a bit. We have also hired a girl from the neighborhood to help a few hours a week. Very nice. But, it means that some of those little secrets that have been lurking at the back of my cupboards have come to light. In the effort to "be real," I will share a few with you. If I am the only person in the universe with such secrets in my house, please just avert your eyes and feel sorry for me. If not, Share yours! It's very liberating. :)
  • There was an old deep fat fryer that I forgot to clean out the last time I used it... 4 years ago. I had just been avoiding looking straight at it during the last 2 moves.
  • I had coupons that expired two years ago in my junk drawer. In fact, I don't think I've used that drawer for two years, because everything in that drawer was at least two years old... wedding announcements, coupons, bank statements... I forgot that my cousin was married! Oops.
  • I haven't scrubbed behind the toilet since... sigh... I was pregnant with Phoebe. In my defense... little girls don't make nearly as big a mess around the base of the toilet as little boys. I had to clean up after my little brothers for years. EW!
I feel better now. Especially because we are slowly tackling all my dirty secrets. Pretty soon I'll have no more. Except all those quirks about my kids. Like Phoebe digs through trash regularly looking for snacks. The lid broke on our kitchen garbage, and it doesn't fit under the sink. I am always pulling her away from the can. Or that Zenna just came to me completely naked and asked if I could put her socks on. Her feet need to be covered. Or the fact that half of the days Zenna spends all day in her jammies. I try really hard to get her dressed before daddy comes home, but some days we don't even make it there.

So now you know. More than you ever wanted to. I am just hoping that I am not alone in living on the very edge of sanity. But even if I am, I feel better confessing. :)

7 comments:

  1. Those secrets are barely dirty! At least you get people to help you clean. When I don't feel good enough (or just don't want to), my house just doesn't get clean. And I think scrubbing behind the toilet really doesn't need to be done that often when all you have are cute little girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had enough drawers in my kitchen to just "forget" about looking in... but seriously, I agree with EJ, those are hardly dirty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one! I rarely get to behind the toilets either. And I have 2 little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 4- yes 4 bathroons to clean now. And I have three sons (and a husband). Granted one is still a baby- but he splashes in the bowl regularly. You really don't want to see my bathrooms. I get to about one a week. So once a month they may get cleaned..... I feel better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your secrets are safe with me. I'll share mine:
    Henry and Phoebe are kindred spirits - he rifles through the trash regularly.
    I changed James out of his overnight diaper the other day at 1 p.m. - granted, that was Aaron's fault, but still.

    You're an awesome mom and in the end, who cares, right? Your house is not a health hazard by any stretch of the imagination. It's just full to the brim of happy, healthy, imaginative girls (and Joe!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! We all have some of those!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i you, thank you for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving a comment. i love your perspective on motherhood and how you are seeing your role as rasing future mothers. i ahve never looked at it in that light before, though i know of course that's so true. my daughter will be a motehr one day. hey thanks for reminding me of my huge responsibility! i alos enjoy reading about you guys here on your blog. i think about you often, especially every time we drive by the old neighborhood. you were such an awesome friend. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter