Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book Review: Dombey and Son


I am going to start writing about every book that I read here on my blog.  I should probably do Goodreads, but I never really got into it.  So, here you go!

I have read this book before, and I didn't like it so well.  It was in my Year of Dickens where I read every novel Charles Dickens published.  I have been reading more while nursing, and decided to go for it again since it's been 3 years.  I absolutely LOVED this book this time.

I love how Dickens takes a human trait and intensifies it in one character.  While this makes some of his characters less plausible, it makes for a very interesting view of humanity.  The character trait in this book is PRIDE.  The stubborn, self-willed kind.  The consequences are horrific.  They are contrasted against pure sweet humility and undying devotion, so those consequences are heightened to the reader's sensibility. Makes for an incredible read.

The question that I have after reading this book is, can love die?  The daughter of Paul Dombey, Florence, loves with all her soul with no return for years upon years.  Then, in an intense moment of passion, her father strikes all that love out.  She flees from his house, and doesn't return.  So, I am wondering if love can truly grow with no return, and if it is killed, can it be revived?

I would say more, and am dying to discuss it with someone, but I don't want to give away too much of the story.  Dickens is such a masterful storyteller that I wouldn't mar your experience for anything!  So, if you have read it, please discuss it with me, and if you haven't, please do, and then call me!!

Once I can get the pictures off my camera, I am going to write a post about canning dried beans.  The best way to use your food storage, if you ask me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter