Monday, September 21, 2009

Ward Choir

I was called to be the new Ward Choir Director at the beginning of August. This has been interesting. As we began choir practice in earnest (we took the month of August off), we had to figure out how to make this work. Since Joe is half the tenor section, having him stay home with the kids was not an option. And, since I also had to be there every Sunday for rehearsals, we decided to make it a family affair. The older girls sit at the back of the primary room while we rehearse (in theory), and I hold Phoebe in the sling while I conduct rehearsals.

What really happens is that the oldest two are trying the entire time to sneak out and explore the empty church building, Zenna is trying everyone's lap to see where she will be most comfortable, and Phoebe (good baby that she is) falls asleep to the swaying and singing.

Well, yesterday was our first "performance" in Sacrament Meeting. I almost forgot all about it. Then, when I remembered, I of course freaked out. But, considering that my back is to the congregation the entire time, it really wasn't that intimidating. I have not looked at my backside in a long time, so I have no reason to worry... what I don't know won't hurt me. :)

The number went well. I held Phoebe, Joe held Zenna, and we left the other girls under the charge of the Wings--very kind and capable people who sit behind us most weeks, and good rapport with the kids. I just hope that we are not becoming the ward freak show... I've never seen two kids in the ward choir before, but the church is, after all, about family, right?

4 comments:

  1. Church is definetely about family. Good for you guys for making it work. Our ward choir actually has quite a few children in it. There are a handful of primary age girls that go to choir faithfully. And then there is Preston that always feels the need to go up with Zach. Last time it was really cute because Preston start to go up to the stand(after Zach was already there) and then Preston came back and said he needed ahymn book and continued on his way. Once amonth our ward does a cool thing we call a congregational choir. Who ever wants to comes and joins the choir to sing a hymn to the audience. There is usually a bunch of young parents that go up that enjoy singing, but are never ever to make it to practice. Ok I'll end this novel of a cooment now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I love your comment! I have to agree with you about the backside! Out of sight, out of mind, eh???

    You are a great director and I have enjoyed singing with you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha-- I just started reading your blog and thought I would tell you I started going to Choir faithfully when I was 8. Have been going ever since. So you're not weird for having kids in the choir, even if they are on the younger side!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter