Monday, March 15, 2010

New Years Resolutions

So, my camera is dead, and I can't find replacement batteries yet (as in, no I haven't gone through all of the batteries yet to find the camera ones, not as though they are impossible to find. i am sure they are in stores everywhere). Yet another post with no photographs of my cute kids. But coming soon, I promise. :)

A confession. When I read many blog posts at the beginning of the year about resolutions, I became overwhelmed. "Climb all local mountains higher than 1 mile high," "Live entirely on beans wheat and salt for a whole year, and make my family love it." "Lose the 5 pounds I gained when i had my fourth child (since I never gained any before)," "Scrub my floors with a toothbrush every Saturday," "Take my kids to every national monument twice, and write a book about each." OK, I will confess... these are exaggerated, but they seemed as reasonable to me as the ones I saw. As I read, they made me tired.

I made one goal. My New Years Resolution 2010: I WILL NOT GET PREGNANT.

Seemed reasonable. Simple. Attainable.

Oops. It lasted two weeks, and then we got the surprising, wonderful news. We are expecting Baby Haws Number 5.

In answer to FAQ:
Q: Are we crazy?
A: Of course we are!

Q: Did you plan that?
A: Of course not. How rude of you to ask.

Q: What are you going to do?
A: We have no idea. Just keep going.

Q: When will baby #5 be here?
A: Probably end of September.

Q: How do you feel about this?
A: We are thrilled. Nervous, but thrilled.

Q: How would you feel about 5 girls?
A: We could make another great movie about families of 5 girls, joining the ranks with "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Pride and Prejudice," and share our experiences marrying off 5 girls.

Q: What happens if it's a boy?
A: Joe breathes a big sigh of relief. The Haws name continues for another generation.

In the end, I have to thank Shannon, my sweet midwife. When I called to tell her the news (just 2 weeks after telling her there would be no baby this year), she said, with a big smile, "I guess God has other plans for you." That sums up how we feel. While it wasn't in our plans, we know it was in His, and we are happy to be part of His Great Plan.

15 comments:

  1. You go girl! :) I have to be honest. I am really not one bit surprised. I am glad you guys are excited. That's all that matters. And CONGRATUALTIONS! If anyone can do it, you can. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good news! Congrats. We are possibly moving closer so we will have to have lots of play dates at our house to give you a break. I cant wait. Im sure your girls are thrilled too!! Well if you need anything tell me. really. or maybe i'll just show up to help. By the way, your blog background is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! Congratulations! What a sweet little suprise! Best of luck (but you don't need it, you are a great mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Very exciting news!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Adrienne....so exciting! Congratulations. I kind of hope it's a girl, just because you make such cute ones! Wishing you a stress free and healthy pregnancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Adrienne. You are such a great mom, and that last paragraph sums it up perfectly--sometimes these things aren't really our plans, but those of Someone who knows better than us. I've felt that way with each of my kids--like I must be crazy for having them, but then once they get here, things fall into a sort of rhythm, and everything's ok again. You'll do great, I know you will. And more importantly, Someone else knows you will, too. :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, what can I say. We are in a club together!!!! Thank you for putting it so beautifully...we are part of His plan and we just have to be thankful that He has entrusted us at this time with this responsibility. Yes, probably a tough one, but one that we will get through! Hope that things go well for you guys and that you get that BOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you are pregnant again (even though you already told me)! Good thing you're a super mom, huh? :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really just so excited for you. You and Joe are such wonderful parents and these little spirits are so blessed to be sent to you two.

    Here's hoping for a little man for you this time around, although five little girls sounds like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I don't know how you do it! (well I guess you just do, no other choice huh). But really, that is awesome. You are such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our posterity it growing and I love it. We think it will be a boy...but the girls are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you know that New Year's resolutions NEVER last longer than 2 weeks? Congratulations! We are definitely done at four kids, but I have to say, with my youngest 18 months now, I'm almost a little jealous! Brand new cuddly babies are the funnest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful news. Whether you have another girl or a boy one thing is sure, they are joining a great family! Good Luck with everything and hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about God having other plans for us. I can't imagine why he wouldn't send a huge handful of children to your family. I'm sure you are a wonderful mom! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exciting news, funny, but very exciting, too! Congratulations! You guys will do just fine. And I agree, God always seems to have a different plan for us than we do, but he will aslo provide a way!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter