Friday, July 23, 2010

There will come a day

There will come a day when my floors will not be littered with crumbs right after I sweep.
And I will not trip over toys in every room.
And the toilet will always be flushed,
the laundry won't create mountains in my basement,
every surface of my house won't be covered in sticky fingerprints.

And that day, there will be no bumps and bruises to kiss better.
There will be no angelic faces smeared with dirt to clean.
No little tiny clothes to wash,
No more giggling screaming girls chasing each other around underfoot.

And that day I will be lonely.

So I will try to appreciate all the evidence that my life is filled with children who love and need me every minute of the day. This time will flee, and I never want to regret the time I don't spend loving it now.

4 comments:

  1. Amen. You're an inspiration! Thanks for the reminder to not wish away childhood.
    I think I just might start calling you Marmee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrienne, I always remember something you said when I came over one time... you had already swept 3 times that day, and it was already needing it again. You constantly amazed me!!! And still do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! Enjoy these days; although they seem endless, they truly are fleeting!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter