Friday, June 25, 2010

What a fascinating modern world we live in...

I like to take a step back once in a while and think about how my grandmothers did things. If they had something to say, they would make a phone call if it was local. If it was really important they would pay the long distance fee and call long distance. Otherwise, they would sit and their desk and write (in cursive) or type (with a typewriter) a letter. They would probable hand it to their mailman (NOT letter carrier) who they knew on a first name basis, and send it off to share their news.

The other night I checked my FB account one last time before I went to bed. Just to see if any of my 200 best friends had anything really important to tell me. Then I checked my blog list to see if any of the 100 people who I read about daily had important news for me. There wasn't anything really new, and I went to bed.

How silly really!

I am grateful for technology. It makes it easy to keep in touch with people we have lost, those far away, and those we meet out there in cyberworld who have similar views and interests.

But think of this... I announced my baby expectations to my family over the phone (they live 600 miles away), and to everyone else on FB and this blog. I didn't tell a single person (except my husband and children who don't read this blog) face to face. Soon, my entire social network knew (either firsthand, secondhand, or thirdhand...) my exciting news. This has it's pluses, don't get me wrong, but really? How weird!!

Just thinking about this makes me shudder a little inside. To be honest, I know more about certain avid and very public quilters than my neighbor who just had her first baby. I know more about a very bored and FB active old classmate than the family across the street. I don't even know who it is that collects and delivers my mail. In fact, I don't even send much mail! I've never even seen my garbage man!

I need to work on that. Do these facts creep anyone else out? Because they creep me out. So, I thought I would blog about them, and ask all my cyber friends what they do about it? Ironic.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. the other day i was outside watching the boys play, and the first thought was "Where are my neighbors?" I miss the days when everyone would be outside on a summer night. I miss the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me chuckle because I know exactly what you are talking about. It is sort of weird. To a degree we really have lost that personal touch. Every now and then I try to remind myself of this and will go ahead and make that call, rather than email or whatever. On the other hand. I feel blessed to have really great neighbors. We have gotten to know at least 4 of them on some sort of personal level. Some more than others. I have even spent time in two of their homes. We are so lucky to have such great neighbors! Maybe I get it from my parents. They are both very social people and also know most of their neighbors. I think that when we get the urge to make a call or write a letter or note, we should just do it!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter